Hey Bermer's!

It is time for a camera purchase and would like to get some peoples views on what is out there.  I have seen plenty of GoPro's around and I know everyone seems to be happy with them, especially you Nigel, but there are some competitors that seem to be pretty damn good in both price and technology.  If anyone has had experience with any of these cameras below I would love to hear from you.

These are the cameras I know off, there maybe more and if so please let me know.

GoPro HD

Drift HD

Contour HD

Any information will be great

Cheers

Nat

Tags: Contour, Drift, GoPro, HD, adventure, cameras

Views: 775

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nat...as you know and have seen, I'm usually riding with my GoPro on :-)

I borrowed a mates Contour and found it limited in the mount department, the video quality was good but the wide angle wasn't there so the whole image was very narrow (I do believe they now have the same/similar video angle as the GoPro).  The battery didn't last as long and it was in-built so you couldn't swap over to another battery if needed (again not sure if this has changed in the new models).  At the time they didn't have the whole waterproof thing but now do.

I bought the GoPro as the options for mounts where so much better and the fact you can take it under water was alos a bonus.  The wide angle and quality of the picture is great and the still photo/photo bursts/timer still shots options are great to.  The removable battery is a bonus so if needed I can take two batteries and get at least 4 hours footage without stopping.  Memory cards are cheap now and big too so there is never an issue with running out of recording space.  You can also shoot with the camera upside down and it turns the image the right way up for you which is sweet.

Sound quality is great, especially if you are like me and need to thank sponsors ;-)

I have the bar bount, chest mount and helmet mounts with a few extension bits and the views you can get are awesome, with all this its pretty much up to the imagination how you mount your thing ;-)  The one trick to stop the clicking noise on the footage is to put a bit of foam between the camera clip and the mount - that's the only downside I found with it.

I've taken footage in the surf, under water in rivers, and of course heaps on the trails and never had a problem, my only problem is my PC is lsow to process the video!! or is that just me being bad at editing!!

If you want, take my GoPro for a spin......

Hope that helps!

Thanks Nige, I thought you would come back with a great entry.  I have noticed the issue with mounts on the Contour and it is true that the GoPro does have a heap more options/accessories for most applications.  Also the issue with the internal battery in the Contour is crazy, battery dies no way of replacing is a bad way to do things.  I am not sure if they are still like that but it is bad design.  

I won't take you up on taking yours for a spin I have seen the quality of your recordings.

I would be interested to hear more on the Drift HD, I think it will be the same issue with the Contour regarding accessories though.

Thanks again Nige, see you on the trails!

Forgot to mention also - the GoPro has a better angle(s) of position than the contour, this means you can make sure you see the trail and the surrounds and not just the dirt flying past!  I see so many people with headcams on that point straight down.....makes for very motion-sickness footage.....

Thanks mate!

Nigel Jefferys said:

Forgot to mention also - the GoPro has a better angle(s) of position than the contour, this means you can make sure you see the trail and the surrounds and not just the dirt flying past!  I see so many people with headcams on that point straight down.....makes for very motion-sickness footage.....

Boys, boys, boys - your lack of imagination disappoints me!...

Pete Fagerlin is on to something!

Now thats a Helmet cam!

Chiropractors rejoice!

hahahahaha, just what I had in mind!

Argonut said:

Boys, boys, boys - your lack of imagination disappoints me!...

Pete Fagerlin is on to something!

I'm a huge go pro fan too, its proved its toughness during a few good snowboard crashes, and also survived a season on dirt bikes in Tanzania, and we've taken it diving a lot too (takes great footage as you backward roll off the boat ;o). BUT BUT BUT word of advice, make sure you buy lens caps for the camera and the housing if you take it anywhere sandy! We had to charge the camera in the 4WD in Namibia and hence had to take it out of the case to charge, the lens got scratched and that was the camera ruined. Found a guy in the US who put a new lens on the camera for $100. But more importantly he sold me a cover for the camera and housing lenses for $5 each !!!  Its worth doing as the lens on the camera itself is incredibly fragile and easy to scratch ( you can order them up off ebay super cheap).

Hi Lynne, yeah I think GoPro is the way forward from here.  The others a great but mounting them is the issue I can see, GoPro have several mounts that are useful for mountain biking.

Lynne S said:

I'm a huge go pro fan too, its proved its toughness during a few good snowboard crashes, and also survived a season on dirt bikes in Tanzania, and we've taken it diving a lot too (takes great footage as you backward roll off the boat ;o). BUT BUT BUT word of advice, make sure you buy lens caps for the camera and the housing if you take it anywhere sandy! We had to charge the camera in the 4WD in Namibia and hence had to take it out of the case to charge, the lens got scratched and that was the camera ruined. Found a guy in the US who put a new lens on the camera for $100. But more importantly he sold me a cover for the camera and housing lenses for $5 each !!!  Its worth doing as the lens on the camera itself is incredibly fragile and easy to scratch ( you can order them up off ebay super cheap).

GoPro arrived this morning.  Hopefully the weather will go away and I can give it a test tonight or tomorrow.

I am the odd one out here and have the Drift HD, used primarily for MOTO dirt bike single track and am happy with it; re accessories there are plenty - God Bless America; most can be puchased locally in Aust or via ebay international. 

The Good:

- many mounts available for helmets - flat, rounded edge and goggle.

- Multiple RAM mount possibilities for handle bars, frames etc. 

- replacement lense kits

- is small and more discreet ie less weight

- has a bar/wrist mount remote control for record on/off.

- waterproof case available

The Bad:

- sound quality is useless; need the optional microphone.

- night recording experience to date not successful but need to play with exposures more to improve perhaps.

The new GOPRO v2 however supersedes the functionality of the DRIFT HD I believe.

Regards

fizz

Nathaniel Peek said:

I would be interested to hear more on the Drift HD, I think it will be the same issue with the Contour regarding accessories though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Nathaniel Peek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service